Boren Scholarship Budget Guidelines
Boren Scholarship awards are designed to pay for the majority of expenses that a typical undergraduate student will have while studying abroad. The funding/award period must be for consecutive time overseas. Study tours of several countries, such as semester at sea, are not acceptable as study abroad proposals.
Maximum award amounts for the Boren Scholarship are:
- $8,000 for a summer program (special initiative for STEM students only; 8 weeks minimum)
- $10,000 for a semester program
- $20,000 for a year long program
Award amounts are based on the amount needed as stated on the budget up to the maximum award amount for each term (e.g. if the program total minus financial aid, not including loans, is $15,000 for a year long program, the student would be offered $15,000 not $20,000).
Please note that underestimating your expenses will not make your application more competitive. Be as accurate as possible as increases to award amounts are not guaranteed.
The cost of obtaining a passport and visa is not covered by the Boren Scholarship. The cost of vaccinations, expenses for dependents, and personal travel expenses are also not covered by the Scholarship.
All amounts should be given in U.S. dollars.
Boren Scholarship Budget
- Cost of tuition and fees for the preferred program - Indicate the tuition costs for organized programs, tuition costs to foreign institutions, and the costs of language tutors, if applicable. If your home institution requires a fee to maintain matriculation, this should also be included in this amount.
- Cost of room and board for the preferred program - Include all costs for food and housing. If your study abroad program includes only 2 meals a day, contact the program for an estimate on how much you will need for additional food during the time abroad.
If you will have a long break (more than 4 weeks) during your study abroad, you will be encouraged by the Boren Scholarship to remain in your host country during part of the program break. You may include the cost of housing and food during this break for the time you will be in the host country. Please note that non-program related travel is not covered by the Boren Scholarship.
- Cost of round-trip international airfare - In this budget line, you should indicate the cost of one international round-trip economy class ticket on a U.S. airline from the United States to your destination. This ticket must be in compliance with the Fly America Act or the cost of the ticket will be subtracted from your award amount.
Please note that the round-trip itinerary must be purchased before receipt of the first check from Boren. If you are unable to purchase a flight for your actual return date, you will still need to purchase a return ticket. You may need to pay a change fee to change your ticket. You should budget accordingly.
- Books, Local Transportation, Health Insurance
- Books - Please include the cost of books and other educational materials required by your study abroad program.
- Local Transportation - The cost of public transportation from your residence to your classes should be included in this budget line. You should contact your study abroad program for an estimate of this cost.
- Insurance - All Boren Scholars are required to have insurance that covers health, accident, repatriation of remains, and medical and non-medical evacuation (including war, civil unrest, and natural disaster). Insurance policies vary greatly in cost, but many study abroad programs include this insurance as part of program fees. Contact your study abroad program (if applicable) to see if you will be covered under the program’s insurance policy. In addition, you may be able to purchase this insurance from your home institution.
- Financial Aid - All non-loan based financial aid, including other merit based scholarships, must be declared in your budget. If you have any doubt of receiving the aid, do not include it in your proposed budget. If you receive the financial aid, then you will be required to notify the Boren office of that increased amount.
Please contact the Boren Scholarship at email@example.com or 800-618-NSEP (6737) with any questions.