Boren Scholarship - How to Apply
Applications for 2016-2017 must be submitted by 5 pm EST on February 9, 2016
- Contact your Boren campus representative for your on-campus deadline.
- Before starting the online application, read the application instructions.
- To start a Boren Scholarship application, click here.
All elements of the Boren Scholarship application are online and must be submitted by the deadline.
1. Biographical and educational information
You must upload transcripts for all colleges and universities where a degree was obtained or pursued.
2. Study Abroad Program
The Boren Scholarship funds the study of language and culture in a program of your choosing. The Boren Scholarship does not choose a program for you nor do we recommend or suggest programs. Choosing the right study abroad program is a matter to be decided in consultation with your study abroad office, academic advisors, Boren Campus Representative, as well as other trusted sources.
In your online application, you will upload a one page description of your study abroad program. This may be a page from the program’s website or part of the program brochure.
Click here to learn more about selecting a study abroad program.
3. Program BudgetBoren Scholarship provides up to $20,000 for a year-long program, $10,000 for a semester long program and $8,000 for STEM majors to participate in a summer program. Click here to learn more about budget guidelines.
4. Two essaysThe essays are the most important part of the application. Click here for essay guidelines.
5. Letters of Recommendation and the Language Proficiency EvaluationYour application must include two letters of recommendation. You may also include a third letter of recommendation and a language proficiency form. Click here for more information.
6. Language self-assessmentComplete this online form using the language self-assessment guide.
The language self-assessment is a form where the applicant assesses their own level in every language that they speak using the language self-assessment guide.