Please note that the content below applies to the 2019 application year. Some program information may change ahead of the next application deadlines in January/February 2020.
African Flagship Languages Initiative (AFLI) applicants for Akan/Twi, Wolof, and Zulu must participate in the official summer AFLI program at the University of Florida. This full-time program is appropriate for those with no previous experience in the language, as well as those at a novice or intermediate level.
Because there are no official AFLI overseas programs for these languages, applicants must design their own overseas program starting no later than September 15.
Boren Fellowship applicants interested in AFLI should follow the regular application instructions, while also following the below guidelines.
Program Information and Budget
- Choose the appropriate language.
- Select “yes” for “Are you applying for the African Flagship Languages Initiative.”
- Choose yes for the following question, indicating that you will participate in the summer program (required if you are applying through AFLI).
- Select “Overseas/Domestic” for your program composition.
- Enter 6/3/19 as the domestic start date.
- Enter your overseas program start date and end date. Your overseas program must begin by September 15.
- Complete your overseas program budget.
- Enter $0 for all summer costs (this program will be fully funded and will be added to your award amount).