Please note that the content below applies to the 2019 application year. Some program information may change ahead of the next application deadlines in January/February 2020.
African Flagship Languages Initiative (AFLI) applicants for Swahili participate in the official summer AFLI program at the University of Florida, as well as the official fall AFLI program in Tanzania administered by American Councils for International Education and hosted at MS-TCDC near Arusha, Tanzania.
These programs are appropriate for those with no previous experience in the language, as well as those at a novice, intermediate, or advanced level. Participation in both the summer and fall programs is mandatory for all participants regardless of initial proficiency level.
Applicants should note that the summer and fall programs are full-time language and culture programs. Applicants are encouraged to request funding to stay in Tanzania after the fall program is complete, either through the official internship in Arusha or in a self-identified program. These programs must include language study, but may also include additional coursework, academic internships, and/or research.
Boren Fellowship applicants interested in the AFLI should follow the regular application instructions, while also following the below guidelines.
Program Information and Budget
- Choose the appropriate language.
- Select “yes” for “Are you applying for the African Flagship Languages Initiative.”
- Choose yes for the following question, indicating that you will participate in the summer program (required if you are applying through AFLI).
- Select “African Flagship Languages Initiative” as your overseas affiliation. If you will extend into the spring, enter your additional affiliation into the appropriate field.
- Select MS-TCDC as the overseas institution.
- Select “Overseas/Domestic” for your program composition.
- Enter 6/3/19 as the domestic start date.
- Enter 8/16/19 as the overseas start date.
- Overseas end date
- Enter 11/28/19 as the overseas end date, if you are not going to extend into the spring.
- Enter 3/20/19 if you are going to extend into the spring through the official internship.
- Use the appropriate overseas end date for your full program, if you are going to extend into the spring on a program that is not the official internship.
- For the budget, please enter $0 for all summer and fall costs, as well as the official spring internship (these programs will be fully funded and will be added to your award amount). If you are planning to extend past 11/28/2019 through a program that is not the official internship, enter your overseas budget for 11/29/2019 through the end of your proposed dates. The maximum additional funding that Boren Fellows may receive for the optional extension is $12,000.
- The Boren Awards do not cover visa or residency permit fees.