Boren Scholarships

<p>Boren Scholarships offer&nbsp;unique opportunities for U.S. undergraduates to study abroad in&nbsp;world regions critical to U.S. interests (including Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America &amp; the Caribbean, and the Middle East). The countries of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are excluded.</p>

19. I currently work for the federal government. Can I apply for the National Security Education Program?

Current employees of the federal government may apply for a Boren Scholarship. Recipients of the award, however, may not be employees of a federal agency during their Boren-funded study period. A Scholar who was previously an employee of the federal government must provide proof that he or she is separated from the agency. In addition, ROTC students, military reservists, and members of the National Guard must confirm inactive, non-drilling status during the Boren-funded period.

17. I have never traveled or studied abroad before. Should I apply?

Yes. In fact, you are encouraged to apply. One of the objectives of the Boren Scholarship is to expand international educational opportunities for students who have not studied abroad and who may require financial assistance to do so. Please work closely with your study abroad office and your Boren campus representative who can provide support as you apply for scholarship assistance. You can also contact IIE at or 1-800-618-NSEP (6737) with questions about the application process.

15. May I be considered for a scholarship before I have been accepted to a study abroad program or foreign university?

Yes. We recognize that many students will submit applications to specific study abroad programs and the Boren Scholarship simultaneously, with expected notification for each at a different date. Students who are awarded the Boren Scholarship must furnish IIE with evidence of acceptance to the study abroad program for which they applied before they can receive any funding.

14. May I apply to study in a country with a State Department Travel Warning?

Yes. The policy of IIE and NSEP is to allow Boren Scholars to study in countries with State Department Travel Warnings, if their home institutions’ policies allow for such study. If you wish to study in one of these countries, you must sign a waiver, and the appropriate official from your home institution must document the institution’s policy and compliance with our institutional travel warning form before the overseas program begins.

13. Should I choose an alternate study abroad program and must it be in the same country as my primary program?

Choosing an alternate study abroad program is optional. However, because Boren Scholarships may be used only for study abroad programs listed as either the primary or alternate option on the application, except in extraordinary cases, you may find it to be useful. Selecting an alternate program provides you with an option in the event that you are not accepted into your primary program, your primary program is already full, or your primary program is cancelled.

6. If I cannot study abroad for an academic year, should I still apply?

Yes. While the Boren Scholarships have a preference for academic year (6 months or longer) study abroad, if you are unable to study abroad for an academic year and have chosen to study abroad for a semester, you should still apply for a Boren Scholarship.  In your application, explain why you have chosen to study abroad for a semester, whether it is because of your class sequence, participation in a particular sport, familial responsibilities, or other compelling reasons. You could also strengthen your application by adding a summer study abroad program to your fall or spring program.

12. Does the Boren Scholarship approve or sanction particular study abroad programs?

No. The Boren Scholarship can be used to support study abroad through an established program, direct enrollment in a foreign university, or an individually arranged study. The choice of a particular program for study abroad is made by you in consultation with your campus advisor. Make your choices based on the overall quality of the program, on the strength of the language instruction, and on other elements (i.e. support services provided, cultural activities) that will enhance your period of study abroad.


Subscribe to RSS - Boren Scholarships